One of the best things about living in Switzerland and being smack in the middle of Europe is the travel ops. Sharing a border with Italy and France, two of my favourite places on the planet, has been a dream and makes little trips across easy and accessible. A few weeks ago, my daughter and I made a day trip to Milan for some sweet culture, food and shopping. A 3 hour train ride door to door, we set off on the earliest morning journey and we were in the Piazza del Duomo by breakfast, taking in the magnificent cathedral and mapping out the course of our day over warm cornetti and cappuccinos. Check out our top 5 for Milan in a day links here. Ciao Bella!
- Start your morning high and head straight up to the rooftop terrace of Il Bar for coffee and pastries and a magnificat view of the Il Duomo.
- Take a quick culture fix: Book online and don't miss Leonardo Da Vinci's "Last Supper" at Santa Maria delle Grazie. Pop in to view the famous fresco in allocated 15 minute visits.
- Amazing window shopping begins at Via Montenapoleone. If fashion kills then this is where the scene gets sensational. Some absolute Italian stars: Prada, Dolce & Gabbana, Versace and Gucci to start with. As if fashion is a dream, it certainly is an art form.
- Break for lunch here at Taglio or there at Pave.
- Meander Via Torino for more boutique and independent shopping in the latter half of the day. Then head back to Milano Centrale to catch the early evening train home and grab a yummy snack for the ride at Bistrot Milano in the station.
For further reading check out Conde Naste travel guides. Oh and just for fun: this sweet video clip of the Gucci SS2016 ad campaign. Which kind of reminds me of this old film clip from Cristiana F. featuring David Bowie's Heroes. : )
(Photography by Tanya Moss)